Based on the Seal Bag of Edward I (13th century), which I got interested in and then did some experimenting in the previous month's project, this will be the device of the Kingdom of An Tir.
At this stage, I have cut out all the itty-bitty cheques and sewn them together - by hand - using the linen fabric as the stabilizing ground. Phase Two of this project will be to insert this shield shape into a red fulled wool ground and then applique the black lion on the top of this design.
I choose not to try to insert the black lion into this design because, with its size, the nightmare of cutting out all the tiny bits of the line and then cutting up this particular piece - with all its hand sewing, was more than I wanted to tackle.
After the black lion is appliqued on, I will then create some very small three-ply twist cord and couch it around the edges of the shield shape. I'll use perl cotton to embroider the details of the lion. Once that's all done, the construction of the bag itself can take place.
I have no idea what I will use it for and may even offer it to the Kingdom for use, I haven't decided quite yet on what its fate will be.
The flip side of the Intarsia Experiment.
Seal bag of Edward I. Wool intarsia and embroidery.