Another departure in shape and embroidery. I also did not attach the fringe (but may still at some point as the bag looks 'naked' to me).
This was another 'car project', like the Rabbit bag, and actually was made the year before the Rabbit bag. The alternative school that my son attended did not have grades but broke kids up into 'clans', based on their home room. This year, my son was in third grade and in the Spider Clan, hence the addition of spiders to this bag.
I also departed from my normal use of chain and stem stich to experiment with bullion stitch. It's a chunky stitch and great for suggesting shape within the embroidered area. The spiders are all stumpwork, padded and then embroidered over.
The two front ones were small and fun but for the back, my son insisted that it be a true representation of a spider, down to the size, shape and color.
The shape of this bag echos the sabretaches from Hungary and the bag itself is slightly smaller than the other bags I've done. Embroidery is done using DMC #5 perl cotton in chain, stem and bullion stitch. There are eight jadeite disc beads surrounding the central motif and the red beads are glass. The ties are lucet cord. The cord and tassles are made from DMC #5 perl as well.
The four white fulled wool appliques surrounding the center wool disc are a funky shape due to the fact that they are left-overs. When doing another project several years ago, I cut out several motifs for that project but couldn't bear to throw away the scraps as they had an interesting shape. With a little clipping, the scraps became the four motifs above. Never thow away wool, that has become my motto over the last decade.
The back of the bag, showing the placement of the spider.
A close-up of the back spider, done in detatched button-hole and couched thread.
Return to About Me.